Saturday, August 15, 2015

It Follows (2014)

My wife was in a horror mood so we decided to check out a few more recent films to see if any could truly freak us out. I had heard good things about "It Follows" and decided to watch that along with "Unfriended."

The story revolves around a creature that simply follows you until it is able to kill you. It will walk towards you at a decent pace. It can not talk from what we saw, but it is smart and appears to be able to learn about its victom and how to exploit it. The biggest thing however is that it can appear as anybody it chooses to. The main character is chased down by this creature and deals with the issue of if she wants to pawn it off onto somebody else or try to deal with it herself. The creature is basically a super STD. If you have sex, it moves on to the next person. However if it manages to kill them it goes back down the list.

The biggest issue I had was with the creature itself. I liked how it learned and how it would alter its approach to killing. I enjoyed that the movie would have you scanning the backgrounds at all times trying to see if anybody looked out of place. It didn't necessarily create tension in me, which I think was the goal. But it did entertain me for the most part and kept me interested in what was going on. Any time you saw somebody walking along, your first though was "is that the creature?" However focusing on this thing makes you want to know about it. And the movie purposely does not give you any information. No history, no clues, no definite ending. We never learn anything about the creature, or why it follows. And with the way the movie ended, the credits just felt like they were coming at a odd time. It felt like the movie needed another 10 or 15 minutes to wrap itself up with, but instead it just abruptly stopped. I left feeling disappointed in the story and the finale as well as that I knew nothing about the creature when it was all over with.

One thing I really liked about the movie however was the setting. It was some run down town with old cars and crappy television sets. I thought the movie took place years ago but one girl had some sort of makeup compact looking thing with a built in e-reader in it. I had never seen one and could not figure out if it was just a cool looking cell phone, or something different all together. I was never able to pinpoint when the movie was taking place, and I loved that aspect of it. It was very low budget and what little effects they had showed that. But everything was used in a smart manor and the flaws were very minor. The acting was decent, and I liked the various kids they filled the cast with.

The movie was sadly not scary, though I don't know if it really tried to be. It was more of a suspense thriller, but it even failed me in that area. Yes it was neat looking for the creature throughout, but I never felt tense or even really cared if it got any of the kids. In the last big scene I was actually rooting for the creature because of how poorly conceived the heroes plan was. Also the ambiguous nature of a few of the scenes turned me off. As well as them never explaining anything about the creature or defining its mythos. In the end the movie was alright, but nothing more. For a rental it wouldn't be to bad, but I would never buy or watch it a second time.


No comments:

Post a Comment